Thursday 10 February 2011

brothers Grimm

Well recently I have been looking at fairy tales mostly the romantic stuff but I wanted to be different and  add some more horror type or Gothic kind of look into it, so I have been looking into the brother Grimm and how they portrayed the original stories and the way that we now see them how we have changed them over the years from Disney to other animations but also horror films to me I would have never have really thought about it but whilst I was in the library I came over a book called Grimm Pictures I was actually looking for my other project so when I got back to my place and looked through it I clicked it was actually about the brothers Grimm in the motion pictures. So when reading up on the brothers and on there storys I began with looking at the silence of the lambs film as cannibalism was based in a lot of there stories and I found out that the brothers where only having a meal a day because of money problems and there mother dying that they had to find a way to feed there 5 siblings and in 1808 there was a lot of children abandonment as many people where in poverty apparently this is where they came up with the whole Hansel and Gretel story as many family's would abandon there children in the forest to fend for them self . They also have connections with Silence of the lambs, The Ring, Scream, The talented Mr.Ripley, Aliens, Rosemary's baby, what lies beneath and misery apparently these films have connections with these Grimm tales taking bits from little red cap on cannibalism is linked to silence of the lambs, Brier Rose was based on a masked serial killer like in Scream, Rapunzel and The Ring the characters are freak of nature, Cinderella and the movie Aliens show a view of man made monsters, Rumpelstiltskin and Rosemary's baby are connected by a grimm view of the fairytale devil, Hansel and Gretel and what lies beneath is about a fairy tale witch, and the last Mother Holle and Misery is a view on the reader and writer. So when thinking of how these tales are put into films now is really amazing to see I would like to put together an image that it original not one straight to the point just to give a hint to the brothers Grimm stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment